As I was looking through my photos this morning, searching for ideas on how to create an AI image that was meaningful to me, I reviewed a folder of photos from last year. Together with a group of friends, we took a two hour tour of a private museum here in town. It is called Shady Grove and touring it is a journey back in time, particularly to the 50's and 60's. Almost every conceivable item that you can think of that might trigger a bit of nostalgia in you, if you are a baby boomer, is there.
I spent the age of 2 through 15 in a small town in Saskatchewan in the 50s and 60s so of course, all the memories I have from that place and those years come flooding back to me as I toured the museum and now as I review the photos.
My father owned a grocery store, much larger than the one depicted above, but the idea is the same. I was trained from a very early age, to work in that store and I did learn some lasting skills and lessons from those years. One of my many jobs was to deliver groceries after school and on Saturdays.
Yes, I did have a little red wagon and it was piled high with groceries as I negotiated the gravel streets and lanes of our little dusty town. We had few sidewalks and not a single paved street, so it was always a challenge to keep items from falling off the wagon. That is why more often than not, the items would be packed in a stiff cardboard box, which helped greatly.
My father taught me to be friendly and courteous to the customers and I tried my best. I was never tipped, and I was never paid by my dad for the deliveries, or the all the work I put into his business. I never thought of it, even once. I was part of a family that had a grocery store and as such, I was a worker, alongside my mom and dad, trying to make living. How things have changed.

No comments:
Post a Comment