As you, my readers, know, my ramblings are on a platform called Blogspot. or Bogger.com. On my template page, where I originate each post, there is a feature called "Stats". When I click on it, up pops a counter of how many views I am receiving on each post, my blog overall, and the monthly and daily traffic. I have always been impressed and proud of the fact that I have any readers or followers at all. About three weeks ago I checked to see how much traffic there was. I had not checked in on this stat for quite some time. I did a double take and was shocked to see that I was still capable of reading big numbers.
In fact, the numbers were so large that I became quite curious as to how lucrative it might be to 'monetize' my blog, you know, pollute it with advertising. It would have to be profitable for me to stoop that low as I have an aversion to ads of any kind as I am reading or scrolling, or researching anything on the internet. So I made use of AI and inquired as to how to monetize and if it would be profitable for my bog, given the amount of traffic.
I quoted a modest figure, a small fraction of the actual totals and asked AI if it was worth the bother to open a account with AdSense and earn some money, if possible. I quoted about 1/7 of my actual numbers and AI said in bold CAPS, "Absolutely yes". After taking the advice on how to go about monetizing, I did actually open an account with AdSense and was delighted to hear back from them that my blog was under review and they would get back to me in 2-3 weeks and let me know if my blog qualifies. AI stated that I would easily earn between $600 and $1000 per month.
I then examined the code of ethics and rules of conduct so I would know what I was going to sign. I read nothing that gave me any indication that my work would be rejected. Now, tell me if I am wrong. What would matter to an advertiser more, quality of content, or numbers? Would not a blog that got huge numbers of visitors prove that there was value to a lot of people? As long as there is nothing offensive or seditious, is it not the number that count the most? My readers know that my writing and photos are for entertainment, general information, and some useful advice or perspective on the occasional topic.
Last week I was informed that my blog would be considered if the content had more value and that I should re-apply when I have corrected my content. But, no, you do not qualify at this time. I am perplexed. I had 340,000 views last month. Does the advertiser care why they are 'viewing'? They just want eyes on their ads, and clicks on their websites. The only conclusion I can come to is that they disagree with some of my content. There is very little controversial on my blog and certainly nothing that would be deemed hate, misogynistic, or racist.
I shall remain perplexed, and my blog shall remain ad free despite the 1,348,550 views since inception. Please leave a comment if you can shed some light on this issue. Thank you.
No comments:
Post a Comment