We live in an upscale Condominium complex and we should not have rats, but we do. There are two or three main reasons for this. Our property borders a small business mall which has a restaurant and a pizza joint. The garbage bins behind the establishments are not always closed tightly so rats can feed at will. Then they come to our complex where the landscaping consists of much cement block and bark mulch, making it a good nesting site. We also suspect that some residents are leaving cat food in their outdoor areas and rats love the stuff.
The pest control company that has a contract to eradicate the rats is not very successful. The regulations around rat poison prohibits them from using lethal doses. Go figure! As a result, we see rats scurrying about day and night.
I finally decided to take matters into my own hands a few weeks ago. I started with the very sticky sheets that have a smell that attracts rats and mice. Shortly after laying one down in between the shrubs, I heard a commotion. Much to my dismay, a beautiful little bird had been caught. There was no way I could extricate him and I had to end its life humanely. On to plan B.
For $5 I purchased a real rat trap, a snap trap. I soon found out how powerful it was as I was baiting and setting it. I quickly learned that I should have worn gloves. Let's just say that had my brains or heart been in my fingers, I would be dead. I used peanut butter as bait, not just any peanut butter, but my favourite, Adam's all natural Crunchy. No self respecting rat could possibly turn that down.
The next day, much to my dismay, I found the trap sprung, but no rat. And the bait was completely gone. I still have no idea how that happened. Believe me when I say that, because the trap has a "hair trigger". Then I got to thinking, as I sometimes do, that if I bait the trap again, but do not set it, the rats would get the idea that the trap and the bait are safe and soon they will throw caution to the wind and pounce on the bait with gusto, as I do my peanut butter toast in the mornings.
Much to my delight, the deception worked. I set the trap a day or two later and in only a few hours, I had my first rat, a clean kill right on the neck.
I have become somewhat of an expert now and have just notched my 10th kill as of this writing. I still get nervous setting the spring and have "snapped" myself several times, but now I wear gloves. I hope the rats don't get the same idea.
No comments:
Post a Comment