Monday, November 30, 2009

Balancing Act

After a very long and tiring week, I promised myself some downtime today. It took the form of vegetating in front of the TV and it was a day for sports lovers, on the 'tube'. After church and a very nice lunch out with friends, it was time for the finale of the CFL football seasons. Although my team, the BC Lions were eliminated from the final just last week, my next favourite team, the Saskatchewan Roughriders represented the west in this annual classic. I have always loved Canadian Football as opposed to NFL or American Football because it is a more wide open and exciting game. Today's match was no exception. My team was the underdog and they were leading the whole game until the most dramatic play of the game, which happened to be the last play of the game. The Montreal team scored a field goal and suddenly it was over. I had a good friend over to help share what going to be a celebration of a western victory, but alas, the only joy to be had was helping ourselves to more junk food while the Grey Cup was being awarded to the 'bad guys'.
But, there was still hope because while the jubilant players were hoisting the cup, there was a hockey game just starting on the other sports channel. After my Canucks beat Edmonton handily on Saturday night (7-3) I was fully expecting a repeat performance against the San Jose Sharks. More disappointment!
The result of all this is a bit of indigestion from an improper diet, disappointment that both my teams lost, and regret that I didn't opt for a good long walk instead of the punishment of watching the underachievement of the day. Did I mention that my eyes are now square after almost 7 hours straight of TV watching? Unlike the goose in my photo, I did not have balance in my day.

No comments: