Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Paraphrase and Application


The Spring blooms are out in force and the next few blogs will have a sampling of what we find at Thunderbird park these days.


I am reading a book called "Stories For A Man's Heart". It is a collection of 100 short stories that are supposed to "motivate his soul". There is something in there for everyone, I suppose, because some leave me cold, while others make the tears well up in my eyes and I think of them as I try to sleep at night.
One of my favourites is the story of the little boy who sees a "Puppies for Sale" sign. He rings the door bell and asks the owner if he can see the puppies because he would like to by one. He informs the dog owner that he only has 35 cents. The man is compassionate and tells the boy that they cost more than that, but he can have look anyway. They walked to the back yard and the man calls out to Dolly, the mother dog, and as she comes out of the doghouse, tumbling and tripping after her are four of the cutest balls of fur the little boy has ever seen. As they came romping toward the man and the boy, another little puppy came struggling out of the dog house. He was smaller than the others and try as he might, he could not get his legs to work fast enough to keep up to the others. He was the obvious runt of the litter.
The boy's eyes got bright and he cried out,"That's the one I would buy."
The man knelt down to the boy's level and said, "Son, you don't want that puppy. He would never be able to run and play with you the way you would like."
With that, the boy reached down and slowly pulled up one leg of his trousers. In doing so, he revealed a steel brace running down both sides of his leg attaching itself to a specially made shoe. Looking up at the man, he said, "You see, sir, I don't run too well myself and he will need someone who will understand."
The story draws no conclusion or application, but as a Christian, I cannot help but immediately think of Jesus reaching down to me and drawing me out of my sinful and fallen state, because, like the puppy who is the runt of the litter, I need someone who understands.

No comments: