Wednesday, February 10, 2010

There Are No Photos That Represent The Way I Feel

I pulled my thick winter socks over my tanned feet this morning, and it hit me. I'm Back! It feels rather odd to being wearing long pants, but I do it today for survival. As I shaved my haggard face, the colour in it was the only redeeming quality. Because part of the tan is burn, it will no doubt peel away in a day or two. I stood on the scale and noticed, not to my surprise, that I had gained five pounds. That too will go away, hopefully as quickly as the tan. Our new luggage is battered and dirty for reasons I shall reveal later, and the clothes in it, which still smelled like tropical Mexico, are now in the laundry.
What did I come home to? What some might call mild weather, phone messages, a mountain of mail, and 95 emails, the most of which required some response or action. I know from experience not to schedule work for the day after a vacation and in this case, I may need more than that just to catch up. I will decide tonight. Having known before hand that there were critical issues to deal with once I was home, I was still able to shut it all out and bask in the pure joy of an all inclusive vacation in a beautiful Mexican resort. I soaked it all up, drank it all in, absorbed it into my sub-conscious, there to retrieve at will when I am cold, miserable, tired, hungry, or discouraged.
In the next couple of posts, I will talk a bit about our little getaway, and how it got off to a most astounding and unexpected start.

2 comments:

On This Rock said...

What? Back already? Seems you just left....

Rachel said...

Reality is harsh!