Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Up Close and Personal


We were extended an invitation to a 'House Concert' on Sunday afternoon. Our friends, Ian and Mona, have a vested interest in a band by the name of "House of Doc". The band's newest member is soon to be their son-in-law. When Ian told me the genre was Blue Grass/Gospel, I was in. I checked out their tunes here and liked what I heard, but we were in for a real treat hearing them in person, up close and personal. These are 4 inter-related people with Menno backgrounds and a vast array of musical talents. Between the four of them they played 14 different instruments, all with skill and verve. But their finest instruments were their voices. They have improved since their album releases and since Ian's future son-in-law has joined the team. The vocal harmonies sent chills down my spine, and they do plenty of that. Their music is lively, at times soulful, and always toe tapping. They had just come back from playing at two different Olympic venues. We were a small group for an audience, maybe forty five of us, but they did a full blown concert! They certainly made a fan out of me.


No comments: