Friday, January 6, 2012

Rome


After not being able to put it down, I just read the last page of this book. Conn Iggulden is the author who wrote the series on the history of the Khan dynasties. I have read the first three of those and found them riveting. As soon as the price on the fourth comes down a bit, and they do with time, I will load it onto my Kindle. In the meanwhile, I have started the Emperor series and if book one is any indication, I will enjoy reading about the life of Julius Caesar as much as I did the adventures of Genghis Khan.
The Gates of Rome follows the exploits of two young Roman lads who grow up rather quickly and by the time they are in their mid teens, they have almost lived an entire lifetime in terms of experiences and exploits. It is an insight to Roman Culture prior to and following the transition from B.C. to A.D. There is action and  adventure aplenty spiced with love, loyalty, friendship, and the ins and outs of Roman politics of the era. The depiction of the Roman soldier and his training, strength and dedication make it apparent why the Empire grew and thrived as it did. For a new young author, this was a great start to a successful career as a novelist.
I will soon start the second in the 4 part series and will get back to you for another review when I do.  


No comments: