Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Big Deal?

 
Another Grey Cup Sunday has come and gone. Last week my team, the BC Lions, were eliminated in the western final by the Calgary Stampeders. This made the game on Sunday anti-climactic, but I still like to watch because it is an east vs. west competition, and I am a westerner for sure. The other reason is that I am a football fan and I find CFL to be an exciting version of football where anything can and does happen.
 
My heart was not in the game, and as the final minutes counted down and it was obvious that the west was not going to win, I simply observed the reactions of the players on both teams, marvelling at the contrast. Despondency, sorrow, disappointment, even anger, were written on the Stamp's faces as the game wound down. One player even called out his own quarterback in a move that showed a lack of sportsmanship. The Argos, on the other side of the field, were ecstatic, jubilant, overjoyed, crying with relief and happiness, and hugging everyone in sight as Gatorade rained down on the coaching staff. 
 
I remember last year, as my Lions won the Grey Cup, feeling with the players in their celebrations of joy. I could identify with them because I too have played in team sports and I know what it is like to win with a team effort. But this time, as I watched the Argos celebrate, my attitude was "What's the big deal, it's only a game!"  

No comments: