Thursday, November 29, 2012

Hard to Find Good Help

 
I braved the cold air today and took a walk around Fish Trap Creek Park. As I entered the park, I noticed, with some delight, that there was someone 'blowing' leaves off of the path. This is a good thing as the leaves are thick and quite slippery when wet. I heard the blower from a ways off and watched as the young man came to the end of the path as it exits onto the street and he became mesmerized by the sound of the blower whenever he blew into the hollow pipe stanchion that normally holds the gate in place. As I passed him, he was definitely more interested in blowing into the pipe than blowing leaves. I soon left him behind and he was no longer doing any work, but just fooling around.
 
I walked further down the path and came across another group of 'workers'. There was a supervisor and four young people with various machines for grooming the paths. They were all sitting in the middle of the path, and one of them had to get up and move so I could get by. That was six city employees, doing nothing. I cut them some slack and continued on my walk. Later, I observed them from across the lake and had to laugh out loud until I realised that as a tax payer I was paying for this nonsense.
 
The boardwalk you see in the photo was being blown off and behind the blower was a wheelbarrow full of sand, being pushed by the supervisor, and the four sloths were taking sand, one handful at a time and sprinkling it on the boardwalk, which can get very slippery in the frost. The way they were doing it was very hi-tech. Not! They each turned in a circle as they slowly walked forward and gently released a bit of sand at a time. In the calm morning air, I could hear the supervisor say, "Remember, our goal for today is to get this walkway sanded." It is no more that 100 ft. long.
 
I had to leave before I blew a fuse.  

No comments: