Wednesday, July 8, 2015

My Back Steps

 
I live in a house that was built in 1976. These back steps that lead up to my deck were well built and are still fairly sturdy but the time has come to replace them. The bottom of the stringers are rotted and we have propped up the bottom tread a few times. My biggest headache regarding these steps is the maintenance. I know what to do and how to do it, but the paint job on these steps, no matter how meticulous the prep and expensive the paint, does not last more than two years because of the deteriorating condition of the wood. This year with the very hot and dry temperatures, the wood had shrunk and dried to the point where it is checked and cracked beyond repair.
This whole stair case, left alone going forward, may collapse in maybe two to three years.

 
Only two years ago, there was an impeccable paint job on these treads.

 
The stringer split at a knot and once water gets under the tread and into the stringer, it is a matter of time for rot to set in.

 
The top hanger plate has dry rot and one can poke a pencil almost straight through it. Walking up and down, the stairs are 
 beginning to shake a bit

 
But, mostly, they are ugly. It is time for a home repair project. Andrew my son, where are you? I need your help.

No comments: