Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Friendship Restored


I must have missed something. I read this book from cover to cover and word for word, because it was well written and intriguing, but I have no idea why it has the title it has. Really, not a clue.
It is a beautifully written story of two young boys, one black and one white, in southern Mississippi in the 70's. At least, that is when the friendship started. They drifted apart and as the story unfolds, it becomes apparent why. The story shifts from present to past easily, but not in a confusing way. The word pictures are so unique, but accurate, as only a very observant person could put to paper. I found myself stopping many time to re-read a paragraph and soak in its ability to draw in all the senses.
A mystery unfolds, accusations arise that change a young man's life forever, and, after confession, a friendship is redeemed and it makes the ending satisfying.
I rarely read mystery novels, but was drawn to this one because of the pleasure I had in reading "Blue Hole Back Home". These books are in no way the same, but the locale is similar and the southern racial attitudes are simmering in both novels. Also, it is a time that I am familiar with, and much of what is written about is very familiar to me because of my age.
A thoroughly enjoyable read that I give 4 stars.
*Warning: some occasional vulgar hillbilly trash talk.   

No comments: