Saturday, October 20, 2012

Objective Morality

 
I bought this book for my Kindle and when I read the first paragraph, I realised I had already read it! I suppose that when one has read thousands of books, this is bound to happen eventually.
 
It was good to read it again. It is a discussion on whether morality, or ultimate good and bad, is objective or subjective. It all plays around a contrived conversation between four deep thinkers who are of differing views on the subject. They have been invited to a judge's mansion to have this conversation because the judge needs to make some serious decisions on his own as regards his criteria for judging those who come before him in the courtroom.
Paul Chamberlain takes us step by step through the objections to objective morality and then leads us to the only plausible conclusion as to who or what is the source of ultimate good innately realised by everyone.
The logic of the arguments is compelling and takes us deeply into philosophy as well as exploring differing views on how to judge what is right and what is wrong in our current culture.
 
3 1/2 stars

No comments: