Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Chines Paper, Dutch Tiles

 
After 5 weeks, the online order from China finally arrived and I was able to schedule this job. It was a new house, only lived in for two weeks, the address so new it was not on Google maps.
It went up quickly enough, but the seams were lacking accuracy and I could only do my best. From 10' or more away, it was great, but up close, it was not quite perfect. However, the customer was a perfectionist. She told me she expected that such expensive paper should be better quality. Then she told me how much she paid and I almost laughed. I rarely hear of such cheap paper these days, but I do know that you get what you pay for. I gave her a brief education of types and qualities of paper and assured her that for that price, it was above average.

 
The end result was a very pretty head board wall for their master suite. Then she asked if I had experience with tile. She showed me their souvenirs from their cruises, laid out a grid pattern, and then just sort of assumed I was going to do it. So, I did it. It actually turned out quite well but I don't think there is a future in doing this type of work, so it was simply a freebie.

 
Centering and leveling all the tile was a challenge because gravity was working against me until the adhesive would get tacky. Holland America Lines would be proud to see their tiles arrayed in such a nice home and in such a unique way.


No comments: