Monday, May 11, 2009

Life in Ocean Falls

With my new Pentax Spotmatic 35mm single lens reflex camera, and a tripod, I was now an official portrait photographer. I forgot to read the chapter on composition, wardrobe, and lighting. Oh well, I have a memento.
The main indoor activity was reading and we both loved reading. We were only a few steps away from the town library and could see it from our kitchen window.

Lis took up painting and became quite good at it. She did not have a paid job while we lived there but certainly honed her skills as a homemaker. She also befriended the lady across the hall who was left alone with her young daughter most of the time. They were an Italian couple and her English was not good. She and her husband fought, constantly.


Kicking back and probably listening to my eight track tape player. Radio reception was sporadic and the one TV station, CFTK the "Tall Totem Television System" from Terrace BC was dependent on the receiver functioning, which it rarely did in winter when the mountain top antennae would ice up.



Our first visitor as a married couple. Lis's sister from Richmond came for a few days. We managed to get outdoors quite often and showed her our favourite spots. Today, we live in the same city.




3 comments:

Susan said...

The photos of you two are so good... so clear, they don't look aged at all. The only thing that gives the age away is the fashion of that era... sideburns, for example :) What a cute couple!

Terry said...

Thanks, Susan. I have a good quality slide scanner and all these photos are slide scans. I have been careful over the years how I store those slides so they are still like new. The pictures we take of ourselves today are deliberately 'out of focus'. We need all the help we can get. Haha.

Kerry said...

I have enjoyed reading your "history" and I love the pictures.