Thursday, May 21, 2009

Young in an Old Body


I came across this photo of a 103 year old man. If you are 50+ you are half way there. Do you feel like it?
Since I turned 60, I have noticed a rapid increase in the aging process, but this pertains only to the physical side of things. However, the more physical characteristics of age that manifest themselves, the more it works on one's mind that one is indeed getting old. But then how do we keep those symptoms from making us old both inside and out?
I have compiled a list, not nearly comprehensive enough, of symptoms of old age. I then calculated the percentage of those symptoms that I can call mine. You might say it is an 'age index' and I do this not because of the 'fear factor', but to have a laugh, for laughing is the only antidote for many of these age indicators. Where do you fit in? Do I dare reveal where I am at?Let's just say that my index number is climbing rapidly.
So in no particular order, here is your check list.
Failing eyesight
Aching joints and/or muscles
Headaches
Kidney stones
Gall stones
High blood pressure
High cholesterol
Ringing in the ears
Mild dizziness (vertigo)
Skin tags
Moles
Age spots
Hair growing where it ought not
Arthritis
Hemorrhoids
Ingrown nails
Wrinkles
Baggy this and that
Plumbing problems
Forgetfulness
Lack of stamina
Lack of strength
Insomnia
Hair falling out where it ought not
Greying hair (what's left)
Larger ears
Hearing loss
Heartburn
Gas (more than usual)
Food allergies
Substance allergies
Breaking teeth
Rashes and itching
Asthma
Athletes foot
Dry skin
Weight re-distribution
Receding gums
Repeating yourself
Gout
Repeating yourself
Menopause
Andropause (if there is such a thing)
Yes, this list is depressing, is it not? If I get a few responses to this post, I will tell all. I will reveal my 'age index'. You can then compare yourself to me, the benchmark, the epitome of a healthy, yet aging specimen. Perhaps we can all then have a good laugh. Or a good cry. :-) :-(
I might add that there is a very interesting thing revealed by my little study and you may also find it quite curious. I certainly did.

4 comments:

Gaye said...

You forgot anal sphincter incompetence and eccentricity (quirkiness). Does this count for a response?

Terry said...

Yes it does and it is a good thing that you and I do not have those problems. "scuse me for a minute, I gotta' run. By the way, has anyone seen my clown outfit?

Susan said...

Dare I tell my index score? No way, nada. My mind has found the fountain of youth but my body can not drink from it... darn!

Anonymous said...

ohh you are a goofier bro than i am your sister..whatta list..i had gout last year and i do not drink nor smoke..watta laff every-buddy had..but the joy that comes in the morning stays and all my moans are little ones..i am 68 and i sure don't feel it..and thankfully nor do i look it..the Holy Spirit is our bestest Friend..He helps me thru soo much.. love you..keep lookin' up and smiling in readiness for His coming.. hugs hugs.. helene mac-rae (mrs)..