Friday, May 1, 2009

My Last Single Summer

Front Street looking from the theater toward the docks on Cousin's Inlet. Today, there is nothing here but the derelict Martin Inn at the end of the street. The roads that were not wooden, were concrete.

There were few distractions that summer, as I waited for the calendar pages to flip. There was always the rumour mill to keep one entertained and informed and that summer the talk of Ocean Falls having numbered days was prolific. That is why I was completely baffled when another rumour began circulating. The government was going to build a new school to replace the one that had just burned to the ground. Ordinarily, this would be a good thing, but I could not see the point in spending $1 million on a new structure for only a few years of use. In those days, that was a lot of money. The tilt-up concrete structure had to be barged up from Vancouver and then of course, it had to be equipped and furnished. Sure enough. By the end of summer, it was completed. It still stands today, but I do not know what it is used for. I heard that at one time it was home to a fish hatchery operation. Strangely enough, it is still referred to as the 'new school'. It is now 40 years old.
Another hi-lite was a visit by a very popular and famous politician. Pierre Elliot Trudeau came to Ocean Falls! It was in the days of 'Trudeaumania' and I caught a first hand glimpse of what that was all about. He came by plane for a quick town tour and a speech to be delivered in the theater. I, along with many others, waited at the doors to the theater because we knew he had to eventually walk right past us. We were not disappointed. I was amazed at how short he was and I could not figure why the women were screaming like groupies at a rock concert. He was not at all good looking. I was only a few feet from him and got a picture with my new camera. I would post it if 1. I could find it. 2. I care. I have never been a fan, but that is for another post.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

There is a ferry that runs up to Ocean Falls. You and mom should take a little trip for old times sake.

Mark K said...

Hi Uncle Terry,
I have been following your blogging about Ocean Falls for some time now and am really enjoying the 'story' of your younger years. I find the history and uniqueness of Ocean Falls and the intricacies of your job and daily life there intriguing. You have a gift for writing and I look forward to each new chapter that is written.

Terry said...

What a surprise, Mark! Thanks for the kind words and the encouragement. It has been a lot of fun and I will write a post at the end of it all, about some of the things that this all led to.