Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A Stormy Beginning



We sorted through our wedding gifts and decided what to bring with us on our journey back to Ocean Falls. I had purchased some used furniture previously so what we needed to bring was small appliances and things of that nature. We already knew we would not be going back for Christmas so we had to be careful to bring everything we would need.
It was late October when we set sail from Ballantyne pier and it was a most beautiful sunny late autumn day, as you can tell from the photos. Lis had flown to Ocean Falls back in June so this was her first taste of the alternate transportation to the north coast. It was wonderful and we were so happy to be embarking on our new life together. Little did we know that only hours later, we would both want to die.
There is a stretch of open ocean that must be sailed, north of Vancouver Island, before once again hitting the shelter of the inlets of the rugged coast line. It was storm season and we did hit a storm. Or should I say that a storm hit us. It came on very suddenly and I was amazed to see the waves coming right over the bow of the freighter as it ploughed through the heavy seas. At first it was an adventure and challenge just to stay upright as we navigated our way around the ship. But when we were confined to our cabin and could only lay on our bunks, the sea sickness came over us in waves as big as the ones just outside the porthole. The violent motion was relentless and the nausea was all that dominated our thinking. There was no escaping it as we lay there, moaning and groaning. I heard the familiar dinner bell, calling passengers to dinner. Food was the last thing on my mind, but I was curious to see if we were the only ones lying low. As I staggered to the dining room, the smell of something frying caused me to heave, but not before I glanced through the glass of the swinging doors. There was not a soul in there. Aha! Even the captain and crew are not feeling well. That should have made me feel better but it did not. It was the first time in my life I literally wanted to die. It would be the only way to get away from the relentless rocking, up an down, up and down. I cared about nothing, not even my beautiful bride, lying there in a fetal position, green faced and moaning. We made an oath that we would never again take the boat either in or out of Ocean Falls, that is, if we would survive this trip.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I've never been out to sea on a trip but I've heard others talk about sea sickness. I do not wish to experience it at all. Yuck!