Thursday, August 4, 2011

How About a Money Makeover?


I do a lot of reading and I tend to read categories of book in streaks. My latest streak is financial books. This is not because I have sought out this genre, but three books have been recommended to me within the last few weeks. I have just completed the second one titled "The Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey. Dave hosts a talk show in the USA that claims to have 3 million listeners a week. I have listened to him and found him to verbally communicate in a similar fashion to how he writes. He is very practical, blunt, humorous, and money wise.
The book is about getting out of all forms of debt and staying debt free, and beyond that, building wealth. The book is peppered with pithy advice, remarkable statistics, and catch phrases. It is very practical and his methods are not theoretical, but completely doable. Every third page has a mini testimonial of couples and individuals who have gone on his 'makeover' plan and have changed their lives. Even though my philosophy of money management almost totally aligns with his, I found myself learning things I did not know before.
This book is for people in their 30's and 40's and is a must read for anyone who feels that they are not liking debt or not having enough money at the end of the month, or feeling that retirement is looking a little bleak. I would go so far as to say that this should  be a required course in our school system. It is educational, entertaining, and has been a tool to revolutionize many lives, as evidenced by the  success stories contained in the book.  
This read gets two thumbs up from me.






No comments: