Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Glitz and Glam


I am not proud to say that I watched a bit of the Oscar Award Ceremonies on Sunday night. Who really admits to doing that. In my defence, I had not watched this annual tribute to narcissism for at least twenty years or more. Also, I was very under the weather and had no energy to do anything but sit in front of the TV, an extreme rarity for me.
I think in my far distant past, I remember Billy Crystal emceeing  the show and there he was again on Sunday. I have not seen this man in many years and my first impression is that he was bit slow on the uptake and his face lift only worked on the top half. Having said that, he did make me laugh at least twice.
There was an unending parade of behind the scenes types who tried so hard to act surprised when their name was called. I know almost nothing about all the films that were nominated so it was kind of dull, to say the least. I thought the one bright light was Canadian Christopher Plummer who did finally win an award. He was a class act from start to finish, and he was not long winded or dull, almost a prerequisite this year.
The best thing, for me, was catching a movie called "Shooter" on another Channel during commercial breaks. It was based on a Lee Swager novel by Stephen Hunter called "Point of Impact", which I remember as being an excellent read. Matt Damon as the lead character makes it even better.
I love movies, but not the inevitable award ceremonies that they spawn.

No comments: