Monday, May 28, 2012

Southern Gospel


Last weekend busylizzy bought a pair of tickets for a concert the following Friday evening. It was a Southern Gospel Celebration, something I am not terribly keen on, but it was being held at our church and my good friend Jim Goodwin is a bass singer in one of the groups. After the two familiar groups, the Young Street Vocal Band, and the Watchmen Four, I noticed a really big, tough looking dude at the back of the church just standing there and looking on. Then, he started walking forward, toward the stage. Then there were three other HUGE guys coming from different directions and as they gathered on the stage, I thought I was seeing Dog the Bounty Hunter's top four most wanted. They looked very rough, very large, Hawaiian or Samoan, and I was quite taken by surprise. You see, I had worked all week and was not really in tune with what was happening that night. And then they began to sing and I was picking my jaw up from the floor. These guys are very good. How a bunch of former drug dealers and gangsters who have done time got into Southern Gospel music I do not know. They only spoke very briefly about themselves. They let their music do the talking.
I like surprises of that nature. I would definitely go see them again.
Oh, they are called  Keepers of the Faith Quartet.

No comments: