Saturday, August 4, 2012

Genesis Re-enactment

Forbidden!

Oh ya?

We have this wooden snake, a trinket we brought back from Mexico one year, in our apple tree. No real reason, but thought it cute and maybe appropriate. Every time I walk past the tree and catch a glimpse of this snake out of the corner of my eye, I instinctively react, or maybe a better word would be recoil. I hate snakes.
But each time that happens, I am reminded of the Adam and Eve incident. Eve obviously did not recoil. The snake may have been a highly esteemed creature in the early days and Eve was attracted to its beauty and charm. I could never understand the attraction to snakes that many today have. They are pets and even fashion accessories. But, I am not the only one who finds them loathsome and repulsive.
When we spend a week in Oroville soon, I will, as usual, have an eye out for them. They have been know to come within a few feet of our house there, but normally stay up on the mountain where it is hot and dry. I have seen several varieties of snakes there, but Bull snakes and Rattlers are the most common.
As I am in the orchard, picking the tree ripened Apricots in a few days, I will be very wary of snakes. There are no fake snakes in Oroville.


No comments: