Friday, August 31, 2012

High Performance ... Or Not

A peek under the hood of the iconic Cobra sports car.
 
I woke up yesterday morning and did not know what day it was. In my mind, or what is left of it, I backtracked to Sunday and kept coming up with Wednesday. I finally asked busylizzy and she said with such assurance, "Thursday", that I wanted to believe her. It took me several minutes to convince myself that she was right. But then I had to realign the activities for the rest of the week in my mind and with one less day.
 
The above photo is one of a very high performance engine. It is responsive, highly tuned, and powerful. When called for, there is an abundance of instant power. Just like what my mind used to be. Well, sort of. Of late, it is running like a Ford Pinto Engine with 500,000 K on the odometer.
 
My excuse? .....I'm thinking. Oh, yes. The autumn rush of work has come on a few weeks early this year, and I am trying to juggle a lot of things regarding work as well as some other issues in my life. I used to be able to take care of a lot of these things while on auto-pilot, but lately, I need full concentration for the smallest of tasks. I could give examples but I am not in the mood to burst into tears right now.
 
There once was boundless energy for 10 or 12 hour days, and more activity in the evenings. Today, if I can get through an 8 hour day, I am doing something I thought I could not do just that very morning at 10 am. I used to routinely work 6 days a week. Now, by Monday 5 pm, I am longing for a long weekend, and in the middle of the week.
 
When I look at my calendar and see all the work I committed us to, I am overcome with a great wave of fatigue. I cut back to part time earlier this year and it was very enjoyable, and very doable. Why the change? I need to take one last kick at the cat ( sorry cat lovers, but that is just an expression) before I completely lose my mind and my body.(No disease, just ordinary aging) I may be able to write about it one day, but for now, look out, cat!   
 
 

No comments: