Thursday, August 30, 2012

Seals in Action

 
Having just read the amazing book by Marcus Latrell, "Lone Survivor", I was anxious to see the Navy Seals in action in a recently made movie, "Act of Valor". This movie has no actors, only Navy Seals, doing what Navy Seals do. It is not a documentary but apparently a composite of several real Navy Seal missions put together to form a very credible story line. No stunt doubles here, just real action. These guys are good at what they do and in this story they are assigned to rescue an operative in the Philippines who is being held captive and being tortured to extract information about her mission. The story then moves to Somalia and then promptly to the Mexican/USA border. Lots of action here and it is apparent that only highly trained and courageous men could do what these men do.
I especially enjoyed it because I had the background knowledge I picked up in the Latrell story. Had I not had that, I may have found it lacking. I'm not sure. The acting is not bad and not good either, but these guys are soldiers, not Hollywood types so that is to be expected. It gives the movie more credibility and knowing these guys are the real deal makes it even more intriguing.
 
It did not get great revues from the press, so I will give it a boost by giving it a 4 star rating. Like my opinion is going to make difference.  

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Would it be ok for Nate or Chad to watch?

Terry said...

A little too violent. Actually, a lot too violent. These guys are marksmen and the quickest way to kill the enemy is to shoot them in the head. 'Nough said.