Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Bicycle Crash


I witnessed a bike crash yesterday. I was stopped at a red light and looked to my left for an opening so I could turn right. About 100 ft. down the road there was fellow on a bicycle, driving on the sidewalk, with no helmet. He tried to cross in front of a rather large pick-up truck that was pulling onto the street from a parking lot. The driver of the truck obviously did not see the cyclist as he ran right over him. The  truck stopped, the cyclist crawled out from under the truck, and banged on the fender of the truck motioning for the driver to back up so he could get his bicycle out from under the wheel. As I made my right turn, I caught a glimpse of the mangled, bent, and broken bike. The rider was on his feet and acting quite normally, so must have been unhurt.

When the days are sunny and dry, there are more cyclists out there, and we have to watch for them. Most of them have no clue about the rules of the road and maybe 10% of them wear the mandatory helmets. About the only place you will never see bikes is in the bike lanes, but, unfortunately, we are not allowed to drive our cars in them. It would be safer.   

No comments: