Thursday, August 16, 2012

Throwing Christians to the Lions


Have you ever read a book when you did not know if the author was male or female? I have, and when I discovered that the author's name actually belonged to a female, I was surprised.

"A Voice in the Wind" feels like parts of it were written by a man, but most of it was written by Francine, obviously a woman. It is historical romance, not my usual genre, but my daughter highly recommended it because she had heard that I was so taken with Conn Iggulden's Emperor series on the life of Julius Caesar. The books are the same time frame, but written in very different ways and from very different perspectives.

I found "Voice" to very contrived and predictable and only really enjoyed the bits about the gladiators. It is the story about a girl rescued after the fall of Jerusalem and sold into slavery. She is unrealistically devoted to one of the most self-centered and narcissistic characters in literature, the daughter of a wealthy Roman citizen. Almost every scenario in the story somehow parallels a modern day moral issue and takes on soap opera dimensions early on. (gossip, shopaholics, bling, abortion, drugs,violence, overeating, premarital sex, rebellion to parental authority, lust, murder, coveting, and lying)
Its redeeming quality is the example of the little slave girl and how she exemplifies love and dedication under the most difficult of circumstances. She is totally selfless, and as suspected, ends up in the hungry jaws of a lion.
If I read the sequels, it will be because I am a bit desperate for reading material. Without being sexist, I will say that I can understand why a woman would enjoy this book. It is about women, mostly, and from a woman's perspective. I have never read a Harlequin Romance, but it might fit that category except for its Christian bent.  

3 stars  

3 comments:

Gaye said...

I don't like them because they seem so contrived.

Rachel said...

You've obviously never read a Harlequin because they are NOTHING like those smut filled books.
Nothing at all.

Terry said...

I apologize. As I said, I have never read a Harlequin Romance so I had no justification in camparing the two. Perhaps the book cover triggered that response in me.