Monday, July 30, 2012

Reputation


Random photo, off the topic, for those who need visual stimulation.

Yesterday, I had an unsettling experience.

Being in business requires that one creates and nurtures a good reputation. I have made a concerted effort to do that for the last 35 years, as soon as I discovered the power of  'word of mouth advertising'. In business, really, all you have is your reputation, whether good or bad. What elements are required in fostering good customer relations? Honesty, fairness, value, workmanship, reliability, (doing what you say you will do and when you say you will do it) courtesy, cleanliness, respect, friendliness, and being very certain that one's word is good.

Many years ago, I was accused of stealing a bottle of expensive wine from the home in which I was working, alone. With a bit of sleuth work, I discovered the real thief and there were profuse apologies offered to me, but it still hurt.

Yesterday, I was accused of not doing what I said I would do and getting paid for it. My customer, someone I had never met until a few weeks ago, was very nervous in confronting me. He had been preparing his case against me for a week and had four people verify his suspicions, including a designer whose services he had recently used, and someone I admired and respected.

I have learned over the years that getting excited does not solve a problem so I patiently heard him out, and observed him as he made a detailed case against me, all the time thinking and knowing that he did not 'have a leg to stand on'. When he was done his rant, I slowly and clearly explained to him how I was going to prove him wrong. It was a simple test, a test which he agreed would settle the issue, absolutely, and within twenty minutes, he was eating crow. I did not gloat but accepted his apology and told him it could happen to anybody. I told him I was so glad that he challenged me and that we were able to resolve the misconception as it is always my ultimate goal to never leave a job until I know the client is absolutely happy.

We parted company with a good laugh, a friendly handshake, and my reputation intact. But it still hurts.   


3 comments:

Rachel said...

Look at it this way: At least it gave you some good blogging material.

Gaye said...

Like you said, it's good to get it out in the open and straightened out. You handled it well and, again, proved your integrity.

sultana said...

I.m so glad that you kept your cool as always !