Monday, July 2, 2012

Canada Day


We live so close to the Canada Day parade route that we thought we would walk the few blocks and look for our grandsons. We got there just in time to miss all the police cars and fire engines, and there they were. The Abbotsford Children's Theater troop was walking behind the Mayor's entourage and I caught a glimpse of the grandsons before they got past me. That's them in the top hats, center of the photo.

The parade this year was no different than last year, in fact a bit less in interest, colour and effort. As a result, I thought I would concentrate on people photos this year. I was in Boy Scouts when I was a young teen and this guy would have been kicked out of the troup for 20 reason. That whole troop looked like something I would not let my grandsons go anywhere near. Lord Baden Powell would not approve.  


I like to photograph pretty things so my lens caught this young dancer. She has cool hair.


I liked the way the light reflected off of the red flag and shirt to give this gal a warm glow.



This young lady was on stilts at least six feet tall. That joyful look was plastered on her face full time. She must have been overjoyed to have walked the whole parade route without falling.


No parade is complete without a gaggle of Ukranian dancers.


And, of course, Ronald McDonald was spreading the joy around. I thought this photo turned out rather nicely. (Click to enlarge) We also went to the fireworks in the evening. The Rotary Stadium was packed and it was most interesting trying to walk home. The streets were closed to vehicles and it was a wall to wall mass of people. Kind of unique for our little city in the country. I will check the fireworks photos in a day or two, but I doubt any of them turned out. I will have to do some research on that type of photography as I have never done it before. All in all, a good day. Happy Birthday Canada. (145 years old and still looking spiffy)

No comments: