Saturday, December 1, 2012

Banking Blunder

 
Some obsess over money, some are careful, and others are just plain careless. I have always been the careful variety, earning some, spending some, giving some, investing some, and saving some. When we put our money in the bank, we trust that it is there and we sometimes just forget about it.
 
In one of my bank accounts I have a variety of sub accounts, containing chequing, savings, common shares, class one shares, RRSP accounts, TFSA accounts, and a variety of others dedicated to specific expenses or projects. The list is long and I do not look at it every month when I do my on-line banking. Until a few days ago.
 
I was looking at my TFSA's and it did not look right. I checked and double checked and it appeared to me that I had over contributed, yet something was missing.
 
A few months ago, my bank revamped their joint account structures and the account numbers and passwords were designed to make things a bit more secure. We were supposed to open the various accounts and enter new passwords etc. I neglected to do this for a vital part of my account so nothing of that part of the account was showing up when I logged onto my 'portfolio'. This was pointed out to me when I sat down with my personal banker and made the inquiry.
 
Long story short, everything is now clear, understood, and accounted for, and we are now richer than I thought. Actually, we are not really richer, but the fog in my mind has cleared and I see more clearly now what the reality is. And I did not over contribute ... I am way too careful to do that.
 
Moral: Don't just dump your money somewhere and forget about it.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Must be nice to be rich :)