Sunday, December 16, 2012

Thieves

 
I got the dreaded call on Saturday. We hear so much about identity theft and credit card scams so I guess it is my turn. Apparently someone in New York city made a $500.00 cash withdrawal from an ATM with my card. Well, not my card, but with my card information.
It is amazing that it was caught only moments before the bank called. I confirmed that I was not in New York and they promptly cancelled the card. The next time the thief tries to use it, he will be flagged as possessing a stolen card.
And how do the crooks do it? They 'skim' information from the card readers at the service counters where you pay for your purchases. It is a small sophisticated device that fits into the card slot. When it is retrieved later, it contains all the credit card info as well as the secure code, or P.I.N. number. They either sell the information or they press a new card and off they go.
And now the fun begins. I have numerous auto debits coming off my card every month as well as some Internet accounts for online purchases, such as Kindle Books. When I receive my new card in about 5 days, I have to go to each account and change the information.
At least it is only an inconvenience for me, not a $500.00 hole in my pocket.  

No comments: