Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Work For Mountain Goats

 
Even when I was much younger I did not like taking on a job like this. Curved stairwells are not only difficult to get at, but if the curve is not very even from top to bottom, left to right, the seams will quickly begin to wander and the whole job can get away from you.

 
I thought I could do it because the handrail was off, the paper was pre-pasted, and the vinyl wear layer on the paper was thin and stretchy, allowing for some lea way in case a seam began to stray.

 
One can only work off to the side and if I did not have such long arms, it would not work. Maneuvering the paper up, down, left, and right, to get the seam to match can only happen if there is enough 'slip' on the paper, and in this case there was.

 
The ceiling was about 18' off the main landing floor, but there was no time to look down so I was OK with it.

 
I must admit I was sweaty and shaking when it was done, But I liked the look of it and it did turn out to be a bit better than I thought. Since this curved stair well, I have turned down two others. This is the last one I will ever do.


No comments: