Saturday, February 23, 2008

Creating Art

An artist, with a blank canvas before him, must have a starting point and I would think that it would be his imagination, that creative spot in the human mind, that conjures up images and pictures, that then get translated into art via brush and paint. Because I have very little imagination, I have to start somewhere else. Do not misunderstand me. I am not saying I am an artist. However, there are images that my eye picks up and in my own mind they are art or they are not. (Beauty is in the eye of the beholder etc)

We were at an art show of sorts yesterday, and with all the variety of artful endeavours displayed, I realised that what is art to some, is not to others. So, for me to create something that I consider art, is an amazing accomplishment for me because of my limited ability to see it in my minds eye first. And that is what is so great about Photoshop. I start with one of my photos and 'play' with it, using different techniques as a true artist would use different tools and mediums and when it 'looks right' I simply save it. There is much experimentation and mostly it turns out bad, but when it comes together, it satisfies.

2 comments:

poof said...

I'd like to see you do that with a real paint brush.

Terry said...

That is the whole point. I could not in this lifetime.