Monday, February 18, 2008

A Tribute to Funk's Supermarket


The year was 1964. I was a punk teenager and had just moved to Clearbrook the day before. I went to check out 'downtown' and ended up in Funk's Supermarket. Being a wealthy guy from the prairies, I made a purchase. It was a 5 cent bag of salted and roasted Sunflower Seeds. They were all the rage back then. The cashier informed me of a contest that was closing that afternoon. All I had to do was fill out a slip of paper with my name and phone number and I would enter a draw for 'valuable' prizes. I felt a little guilty, having only spent a nickel, but what the hey. Nobody knew me. I was the new kid in town.

Only hours later I got a call telling me I was the lucky winner and could pick up my prize any time before Saturday. It was a valuable prize because in spite of having used it off and on for 43 years, this travel alarm clock still works like a charm.

This month, Funks Supermarket is shutting down. It is the end of an era, for sure, and the landmark of Clearbrook, a reference point for giving direction to just about anywhere, will soon come down.

I can here it now. "You want to know how to get there? Well, do you know where Funks used to be?"

By the way. Thanks for the clock.




5 comments:

poof said...

It was high time they close up shop.

poof said...

That was a play on words you know. I thought it was quite punny. :)

Terry said...

I didn't take my Ginko Biloba today so I don't get it.

poof said...

Uhh...clock...aka time...(?)

Okay forget it. You oldtimers are too slow. :)

Terry said...

aka time ?? Atlantic Kanada Alaska time?? I still don't get it?! Clock? Oh yes, they sell clocking stewing hens there. Huh?! Oh yeah. 'Old timer' I get it!! an old clock is an 'old' timer. Hah. Pretty good. The alarm bells are going off. Time to take my medication. Or is it time for my meditation. Help.