Thursday, April 23, 2009

As The Days Fly By

The road in front of the town's theater. Note the small parking lot even though the theater was full whenever a movie came to town, which was infrequent.

The next ten days flew by. We had a lot of catching up to do and we had never spent so much time together. I showed her everything there was to see and we went on a few hikes to my favourite spots. I was still working so it was also a good time for her to get to know my sister while I was out of her sight. It was also a welcome relief from writing letters day after day. Even though we had never specifically discussed marriage, I knew that if I asked her, she would probably say "yes". I was about 90% sure, also thinking that worst case scenario would be a "yes" with reservations and maybe a "yes, but not now". I had agonized over this for long enough and now I was quite sure what I wanted, and hoped Lis would want it too. We stayed up very late that night because I did not have to get up for work the next day. In the wee hours of the morning I 'popped' the question and her enthusiastic answer was exactly what I needed. When that was out of the way, we really had a lot more to talk about and ended up talking until the robins started chirping as the sun came up. We had a lot of plans to make and not many more hours before she would lift off in the 'flying boat'. But it would be OK, because now there was a purpose to me being there and with time on my hands, many plans to firm up.

1 comment:

Elma said...

A truly great "love story!" THank you for sharing...