Friday, April 24, 2009

It's Official!

When agonizing over an important decision for a long period of time, there is a great relief when it finally comes to a conclusion. My work and my life in Ocean Falls now took on a different look as I had purpose and a goal. There had been rumours floating around that the town's future was in jeopardy but I was not too concerned as my dreams for our future did not include that little town for the long term. I now saw it as a good starting point for our life together. I may have told my sister and brother-in-law about our engagement, but other than that it was going to be a secret until July when next I would come to Vancouver. We would have a diamond ring by then and announce it to our friends and family. The uncashed paychecks sitting in my dresser drawer would now have a purpose.
In the meanwhile, the letter writing continued at a furious pace. The post office pictured above was a regular stop for me everyday, either to or from work. My home in the Gospel Fellowship Hall would soon no longer be available as the decision would be made to shut it down and my sister and her small family would be leaving soon. As a single man, I would be required to live in the hotel (Martin Inn) until I was married and then we would be assigned an apartment somewhere in town. I was not thrilled about living in the hotel, but the prospects of having my own little dwelling, even though it was rented, was something new for me and was an exciting prospect. There would be things yet to endure before our planned wedding date in October.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Did you save all the letters you and mom wrote to each other?

Terry said...

Yes, but they are 'off limits' to you. :)

Rachel said...

Better burn them before you die! Mwa ha ha!!!!!