Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Easter Weekend Retrospect

I always look forward to Easter with anticipation and this year, again, I was not disappointed. Some would compare it to Christmas but for me there is little similarity. If you have been reading my blog, you already know how I feel about Christmas. Easter has not been as polluted by our culture, as has Christmas. From a Christian world view, Easter is by far the more significant of the two celebrations. The death and Resurrection of Jesus Christ is pivotal to the Christian faith and as such is too controversial for the secular world to get too involved in. At Christmas, 'Peace on earth and goodwill to all men' is generic enough that even an atheist can buy into it. However, man's redemption through God's sacrifice on the cross is too specific and involves faith, acceptance, and accountability so the secular world feels most comfortable with baby chicks, bunnies and chocolate eggs. This creates more of separation between Christian and non-Christian and that makes Easter feel more like 'our' time.
Christ's suffering on the cross as portrayed in scripture, through drama, and in music, is intensely personal for me and I find myself getting very emotional about it. The cliche`s of new life and new beginnings are generally synonymous with spring as well as Easter so for most people, Easter is simply a spring ritual, an end to winter and promise of flowers, green leaves and the pleasures of summer. For a true Christian, it is indeed new life in a very literal sense.
The family and food are simply a bonus. We do not need an excuse to get together as family, but there are enough occasions for celebration throughout the year that we meet often and it is always a joy. Easter is one of those times, and I love it.

No comments: