Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Union

This is a shot of the Union Hall with the back side of Martin Inn, the big hotel in town, in the background. I remember taking this photo to show the big black insulated pipes that criss-crossed the entire town, Every home was heated with steam from the steam plant at the mill and this is how it was conveyed to the various homes and apartments across town. The Seagulls loved the warmth on their cold toes.

After my first week at Ocean Falls, it was determined that I was a 'keeper' and all the new recruits in town were required to join the union. It was the United Pulp and Paper Makers Union and at that time, was the most militant union in the province. I did not question the requirement and really thought nothing of it as I signed the papers and got my Union Card. I was told in no uncertain terms that I was to be at the union meeting every month and if I did not show up, there would be a fine. Within the second month, there was a strike vote to be taken and so my second meeting was the most important meeting that I could attend. It was an absolute requirement.

There was another new pulp tester in town, someone that I had befriended, Gordon Turner. He and I were very grateful for our well paying jobs and had noticed in our short time in town that 'the company' did so very many things for the people of the town that we did not understand how anyone could feel any animosity toward them. There were so many amenities and recreational opportunities that were company subsidized as well as Christmas parties with free gifts for every kid in town. And just having arrived and enjoying our work, we did not want to go on strike and sit on a picket line with our hands in our pockets.

We arrived at the meeting a little late and ended up sitting right at the front, directly across from the head table which held the shop stewards, the local union bosses, the provincial union bosses, the Canadian union boss and the North American union boss. What did I know? I knew nothing of the history of animosity between the Papermaker's union and Crown Zellerbach. I knew only what I had observed and what I wanted. After the fiery speeches, the 'vote' was held. In retrospect, I should have been shocked that the vote was not by secret ballot. It was by show of hands!

The big boss boomed, "All those not in favour of a strike, raise your hand." Without hesitation, Gordon and I thrust our hands upward. Dead silence. My first reaction was to look behind me to see if the union members all had common sense like Gordon and I had. I was shocked and amazed to not only see that there were no other hands, but was suddenly chilled to see the looks on every one's faces as they all stared at us. Was it anger against us, or fear for our safety? I wish I had looked at the faces of the bosses as our hands went up, but needless to say, we felt their fury soon enough. You could hear the ticking of the wall clock as the National President of the union stood to his feet, leaned over the table toward us as far as his center of gravity would allow, and thrust a big meaty finger toward us. He was red-faced and angry as a hornet. It was obvious he wanted a unanimous vote. In a quiet controlled rage, he spoke these words. "When your union tells you to go on strike, that is how you vote." ( I omitted 13 expletives from this quote.)

Without hesitation, he asked the question again, this time Gordon and I did not have the courage to put up our hands. I instinctively knew that our lives could be in danger once we were back in the mill amongst all the machinery and deep pits.

The second question was asked. "All those in favour of a strike, raise you hand." A loud cheer went up, a response much more exuberant than that of our two little hands barely raised to shoulder height.

This was the beginning of my education regarding unions and democracy. I know for a fact that it put in me a desire for justice and freedom and it was the beginning of the life long interest and passion I have had for politics. I was to learn much more in this regard before my days at Ocean Falls came to a close.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

That was really funny!!!

On This Rock said...

I believe it!...and you stated it well...try sitting on the other side of the fence as management...also not a joy ride! The freedom to say and write and have opinion is a precious entity and, I believe, is exceedingly rare if one wants to avoid living a short life. Some days I wonder if it exists at all.