Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Cactus 2


I have only encountered cactus in two places in our province but when travelling in the desert, it is everywhere. It takes many forms but all of them are nasty. Whether in the garden, in the wild, or in the parks, these plants are rarely vandalized. The price one pays for messing with one of these is too high. Even the Yucca above, which, I suppose, is not a cactus, has very dangerous spines with sharp edges and points. Cacti make great refuges for all sort of birds and other critters.
If you come from rain forest country, as I do, there is an attractive beauty to these desert plants because they take on so many different shapes, sizes and colours. We have been in this desert in spring and that is when the cacti really shine with their various buds, blossoms, and fruit.










I have some more unique and interesting cacti to show you tomorrow.

8 comments:

poof said...

Thought you'd be cactied out by now.

Terry said...

That is a prickly subject. I have been needled to post more but I think everyone has got the point by now. I am sticking to one more post.

poof said...

Oh brother...groan...

peter k. said...

Considering the attention these cacti are receiving from you! If you were a cacti, what would you look like?

Terry said...

What does a 'thorn in the side' look like? I may be that to you at times.

peter k. said...

I know I have an extremely "low" threshold for pain. So I'm not the one to ask this question to. Besides, why should I have to answer your question first when you haven't answered my question ( from my previous comment)? Answer my question first and then I "might" answer yours. Remember, cacti can wait a long time between water refills. I'll be "slow" and "thoughtful" before I answer your "loaded" question.

Peter K. said...

Who asking the "real" prickly questions? Is there a nurse in the room ready to pull-out a few thorns? Hey, I really liked every one of your cacti pictures. Now I better idea of what "a thorn in the side might look like". Just think, if you hadn't of taken those cacti pictures, we would not be having this conversation. Who knows what will be the next conversation piece? Good Night & Sleep Tight! Peter K.

Eric Vogt said...

Awesome colour and of the shots with the sky included Terry. Beautiful!