Friday, January 28, 2011

A Flower Taken


It was one week ago yesterday that my friend buried "The most amazing woman."
We knew Vic and Marie very casually for a few years and then in 2006 they invited us to come to Palm Springs with them and spend two weeks in their rented condo. We  must have been a bit of a disappointment for them because I was laid low with recovery from surgery and neither of us are tennis players. Somehow we overcame those obstacles and become very good friends through a lot of sharing and good conversation. You cannot help but get to know someone when you live under the same roof for two weeks. When we got back, we remained friends and got together regularly. One thing that always struck me was the way Vic would say what an amazing woman Marie was. I gradually began to understand why, as did busylizzy who became quite close to Marie. 
At her memorial, some themes were repeated that we already knew. What you saw was what you got with Marie. Marie was 'low maintainance'. Marie's faith was strong and she lived it out. Marie was close to the Lord. 
The day before we left for Palm Desert was the last time I spoke to Marie. She phoned me to tell us to have a good time, and a relaxing time. She was so full of encouragement I could hardly get in the words I wanted to speak to her. I suspected it might be the last time I would speak to her so I thanked her and Vic for helping us discover the Palm Springs area and reminded her of all the good times we had there. I told her what a great encourager she was and how her positive spirit always lifted us up. I told her we would be praying for her. 
A few days before we came home, she passed away from this world into the arms of Jesus, her Saviour. 
Yesterday I spent a few hours with Vic. I had not seen him since the memorial and was expecting to see a shell of a man. But what a difference a strong marriage and a strong faith makes in a man's life. He has plans and dreams and always has been a man of action with more than enough energy. 
What he has left is a very wonderful and supportive family but the memories of his "most amazing woman" will carry him through.    

2 comments:

poof said...

What a beautiful tribute and testimony. I don't know them but am inspired just the same.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Terry for that tribute to Marie. It was well worded and I agree with everything you said. I miss Marie SO MUCH, but I find it hard to be sad since I witnessed how much she was looking forward to going home. Her last words to me at the hospital were, "I feel sad for you, as you must be jealous that I'm going to see Jesus first." Esther