Saturday, January 29, 2011

Winter Doldrums


We do not realize what we have until we are deprived of it for a while. I am talking about our gloomy weather. Are the days really getting longer? Can't really tell with all the heavy overcast. Is there really a sun? Can't tell. Have not seen it but for an hour or two since we returned from sunny southern California. 

I missed 'garbage day' yesterday. The garbage truck comes down our street first thing, around 7 am. I heard it just as the radio alarm went off. By the time I get some pants on and race out to the street, trash cans in hand, it is too late by about 100 feet. The driver is not a compassionate man so he will not let me run to catch up nor will he back up. I know what the problem is. We were on a 'Tuesday garbage day' routine in Palm Desert. It was always on a Tuesday. It did not matter what the holiday was or where it fell on the calendar, it was always on Tuesday. There is a conspiracy here to reduce garbage by confusing the homeowner with a constantly changing garbage day. At least it is working at my house. I am owed a discount for all the times they did not have to pick up my garbage because it was still sitting beside my house. 

I looked in the mirror this morning and noticed my tan is all but gone. I am turning pasty white like everyone else. My new beard stood out so nicely against the golden brown skin, a result of hours of hiking in the desert. Now, white on white is just not doing it for me. I will keep it though. It is like wearing a warm scarf when I step out into the cold, damp, dark, gloomy, depressing, oppressive, winter air. I am in the winter doldrums. Somebody turn on some lights. Please!     


4 comments:

Rachel said...

You are just SO hard done by :)

Terry said...

Thank-you for 'feeling my pain'. The sun is to make a brief appearance tomorrow, just to tease us a bit.

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain.

The dark gloom is even worse when you are sick. Don't get sick.

-the sneezing rellies

Rachel said...

My crocus are peeking out of the dirt. Spring is on it's way...don't despair!