Saturday, March 30, 2013

Farewell .... Sort Of


Tuesday was the last day of our little grandson's 12 days of sleepovers. It is not like we will never see him again, but it was a bit difficult to say goodbye. Sure, it is a bit time consuming, and tiring, but the payoffs are huge. We became quite close, much more than usual. These two photos were taken on his last day. In case you didn't notice, this is a happy kid.
What is so great about Liam? For starters, he is a very positive little boy. He wakes up with a smile on his face, and was never once grumpy or reluctant to get right up and get on with his day. The first topic of the day, at breakfast is "How is your day going?" That is him asking me. When I am being honest, I am saying something like  "so so". I ask him and his response every time is "Great!" That immediately puts me in a better frame of mind.  
He is full of ideas for the activities of the day. If I am reluctant about something, he quickly and easily changes gears and goes for plan 'B'. (he is flexible) 
He never complains. Ask him how his 'leftover' lunch is and he always says something like "delicious" or "super good". Riding his bike, playing with a ball, playing table games, or doing puzzles, he is always cheerful and is a good sport even when he loses. He slides down the longest snake in "Snakes and Ladders" and takes it in stride. I jump two of his kings in checkers and he doesn't get one bit upset, even though he is competitive and really wants to win.
At bedtime, he willingly gets in the tub and when it is time to get out and get on the PJs, he just does it. I did not hear one whine, complain, or gripe the whole 12 days. 

I doubt I was like that as a kid because I am not that way now. Is it a learned behaviour, or is it his personality and God-given disposition? I hope he does not change. He and I get along fabulously and I want it to stay that way. I love him to pieces and when he spontaneously and without solicitation throws his arms around me and announces that he "loves me so much" my heart melts and I want time to stand still. 
Now, if you think this is just a grandfather bragging on his grandson, I will drop a little honesty here. Everything I wrote above? All bets are off when he is around his two older brothers. We will not talk about that. :)  



3 comments:

Gaye said...

Every kid loves to be the center of attention. I imagine his brothers think he's a pest at times. At your house, he's the king of the castle. What fun! It's sad to think that some grandparents don't have the opportunity to bond with their grandkids.

Rachel said...

Pardon me? I'm thrilled you have this wonderful 'Liam' while we were away but honestly...this does not happen at home. Yes he is mostly very positive but he does let the true feelings show here and the tears and meltdowns would make you cringe.
Glad he could hold it together for you!

Terry said...

Gaye, you are right on all counts.

Rachel, I was hoping that after 12 days of excellent behaviour, he would have realized the benefits of a calmer demeanor. But everything I said is 100% true.