Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Kindle vs. Book

 
Since I got my Kindle e-reader 14 months ago, I have only read 4 or 5 paper books. (as opposed to more than 50 kindle books) The last two paperbacks I read were "Will to Live" and "Ice Bound". I must say that my eyes must be deteriorating. The eye strain from reading the fine print, especially in "Ice Bound" gave headaches, and itching, burning, red eyes. It also took me a very long time to read those last two books, not because they were long, but because I have to stop frequently and I also lose my place at the slightest distraction.
As one ages, the limitations of later life slowly but surely creep up and failing eyesight is only one loss.  It is more than comforting to know that one of my favourite pastimes will not be taken from me soon. The downside, of course, is that until Amazon has ironed out an agreement with the library system in Canada, I will not be getting too many free books (borrowed) and my reading habit will continue to cost me money. I am told by my local library staff that an agreement is imminent. But that was the story a year ago too.  

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Shoulda got a KOBO!

Gaye said...

Shoulda got a Sony!