Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The Birthday That Keeps on Giving


Yesterday's post was all about the surprise birthday breakfast that Lis and Keith pulled off. Here we are later that evening at the Greek Islands Restaurant. I look like I am bagged and have had too much sun. That would be exactly right. busylizzy is looking her usual beautiful perky self so just look at her. 


It was these four (these three plus busylizzy) wonderful people who treated me to this dinner. It was delicious as usual. This is one of my favourite places to eat other than busylizzy's or Rachel's  kitchen. 


The dishes were cleared away and I was presented with a card in a fat envelope. If busylizzy looks like the cat that swallowed the canary, that would be about right. She struggled to keep a secret for more than a month and she just about burst. At this point, it is just a mushy card from her. (for my eyes only) 


Then I started reading the note attached to some documents and this photo kind of captures my reaction. Stunned and speechless. 


So what was it? An all expense paid 5 day trip, leaving Monday morning for Las Vegas, a prearranged rental SUV and a trip to Bryce Canyon. For those of you who do not know, I love photography, especially nature photography. I have always wanted to go there, in April, which is the best time of year to go. My work has always been busiest in the spring time, so this has always been out of the question. My work schedule was somewhat manipulated by my partner, my son, so the urgent job we had booked for next week turns out to a big lie. I like this kind of lie. 


As if all this was not enough, my sweet daughter invited us to her home where she had made this amazing birthday cake. Yes, it was as good as it looks. Amazing, really. You must click on this photo to enlarge it. You must. Do it! Now wipe up your drool. 
I must say, in retrospect, that having a 65th birthday is actually not bad at all. At least mine wasn't. 

8 comments:

Rachel said...

Twas a good day. Hey, we both had milestone birthdays this year. I'd say we're both spoiled too!

Terry said...

Now comes the fun part. We get to reciprocate in a few years.

Chris said...

I am excited and so happy for you. Bryce Canyon is supposed to be even better than the Grande. Fun!!! You deserve it.

Anonymous said...

What an awesome surprise! I may see you there, in Vegas as 9 of us are heading there to celebrate "60" on Sunday! Hoorah for birthdays....seems to only get better. Glad you had a good day.

Elma

Terry said...

Elma, I will look for you at the Blackjack table. Haha.

AF said...

Forget blackjack dad, it's a dinner at the Swiss Chalet then straight to the craps for us!

Anonymous said...

Such a wonderful surprise! What a great secret to keep for a month! Now buzylizzy can relax. :)

Li'l Sis

Stephanie said...

Aw, I just love it! Especially how Andrew pencilled in a very important job for next week to keep it secret. Have fun and enjoy every minute!