Friday, April 25, 2008

Farewell

We attended Peter's memorial service today. More than a tribute to the man's life, it was a tribute to God's grace and a man's response to that grace. Heidi's Dad was a man who was well versed in eschatology, a study of the happenings of the end of the age from a Biblical perspective. I could not help but think of him when I read a quote, this week, from Henry van Dyke, American author, educator, and clergyman.

"I am standing at the seashore. A ship at my side spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean. I stand and watch until, at length, she hangs like a speck of white cloud, just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other ... And just the moment when someone at my side says: 'There, she's gone!' there are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices ready to take up the glad shout: 'Here she comes!' And that is dying."

No comments: