Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Sunrise or Sunset

There has been much said about aging, and I have been bombarded with all the cliches this week. No, I do not feel any different now that I am 60, but over the last year, in anticipation of this milestone, I have been thinking, that what has changed, is my perspective on dying. Up until recently, when faced with the prospect of death, my first reaction would have been," Not now! I am too young. I have too much living to do." My thinking has gradually changed in that I still feel that I am too young, and yes, I have a lot of living yet to do, but the prospect of dying now is OK if it must be. I do not think I have ever feared death, but perhaps feared missing out on something if I were to die. That feeling is gradually being replaced with something else.... the beginnings of anticipation.

The photo: Is it a sunset, representing the fading of youth, the waning years, the beginning of the end, or is it a sunrise, representing new beginnings, the start of a new day, anticipation of what is in store? The truth is, I had to get up very early in the morning last fall to get that shot at Willband Creek Park. Sunrise is more my outlook these days than sunset.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A beautiful picture. Whatever age you are, illness can change your perspective on life and death and teach us much about ourselves. Jan

Kerry said...

Happy Birthday....I saw the pics on Rachel's blog...the cake looked really yummy. Hope it was a great one!!

Terry said...

Thanks Kerry, the cake and the birthday were both delicious! And Jan Taylor, you certainly would hold a perspective that I do not. It is such an answer to prayer that your health is improving and that you are going back to work part time. Work is good if for no other reason than that you can.