Monday, August 9, 2010

My Wandering Mind

Busylizzy has a cousin who was trained in Europe to be a symphony conductor. He has been back in Canada for a few years now and we have attended some of the musical functions he has put together. We attended one of his creations on Saturday evening in Vancouver. As cousins, we like to support each other. It was a rather unusual event and after several hours not really knowing what was going on, as we were milling about, meeting old acquaintances and making new ones, we were handed programs. Shortly after that, the music began with several conductors leading a chamber orchestra performing various classical pieces interspersed with opera and hymn singing. This is not my 'cup of tea' so as those around me were enjoying the eclectic goings on, my mind was wandering back to my prairie trip. It was a bit like fantasizing about Maui in order to mitigate the effects while having a root canal. My mind went back to my brief visit to Citadel Bluffs as pictured above, a series of small acreages on the banks of the North Saskatchewan River just north of Saskatoon. The resonating violins in the background of my reverie reminded me of the clouds of mosquitoes when I rolled down the window of the car to take this photo. 
      
As the symphonic cadence and volume built during the 'Intermezzo' from Cavalleria Rusticana by Mascagani, I envisioned this freight train rumbling down the track until it swept by me in power and deafening noise, drowning out the Meadowlark call and the cricket buzz that had only moments ago filled the prairie morning air.
 
When the Aria from Carmen, "Je dis, que rien ne m epouvante" began with a vengeance, I wondered, almost aloud, if she would still be heard from the highway if she was singing from this barn in the far distance. The acoustics in there might be quite good. We may never know.
The 2nd movement from Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 5 evoked images of rolling Canola fields, swaying gently in the warm breeze and I had an urge to escape the humdrum of the road and hike across the vast expanse of gold to explore this old abandoned house on the hill. Somehow, a Country and Western tune seemed more appropriate for this image than Tchaikovsky. A little Waylon Jennings, perhaps? I shook the thought from my mind as we turned to page #576 and sang "When Peace Like a River".
When we were encouraged to close our eyes and drink in the music for the soul by Mahler: 3rd Movement from Symphony #4, I did just that and could not help but think of this broken down barn. It seemed appropriate after having been told that the musicians had only practiced for one hour for this piece of music. The symbol of brokenness applied.
I just don't 'get' Opera. The Aria by Sullivan entitled "The Lost Chord" make me think that if this old building had been searched, it may have been found and Sullivan could have saved himself the trouble and me the pain and agony.
Call me boorish. Call me uncultured. I know I am not alone. All of the efforts of the conductors, the facilitators, the musicians, and everyone else involved is lost on me. I do not belong at these venues. If we cousins want to get together over a good meal and have good visit, I am in. Musical taste is a personal thing and what is pretty to one, is poison to another. As for the cousin, he was so busy running around I think I said only three words to him. But, he was having a good time and that, I believe, was his purpose.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

There is something to be appreciated in most styles of music.
At least you tried :)

Gaye said...

He was giving the very best he had for the enjoyment of others, to those who have learned to appreciate his kind of music. You could compare it to appreciation of a Corvette over a Beetle.

Anonymous said...

It's a good thing that Frank doesn't know about your sight. Right on Gaye.

Terry said...

Hey there anonymous, only my optometrist really knows about my "sight" and I have no problem with "Frank" reading my comments. I am being honest and I did not slag Frank. By his own admission, the orchestra did not pratice very much.