Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Hope-Princeton Highway

What a great combination! My favourite road during my favourite time of year. Our trip down the Hope-Princeton highway had more purpose than sightseeing and pleasure. It was time for the annual cleanup and winterizing of our holiday property in the Okanagan. I have always loved driving this road and have become very familiar with every curve, hill, and hairpin turn. It is easy to spot the drivers who are not familiar with the road because to the uninitiated it is a little intimidating in places. It helps to know where you really have to brake and where you can power through the turns at double the posted speed to gain momentum for the next hill climb. It is a 'driver's road'.


The traffic was heavy, as it is every long weekend, but we still stopped to admire and photograph the spectacular colours of Autumn along the  Similkameen River valley. If I spelled that wrong, too bad. There are places where there are only one or two deciduous trees among all the Spruce and Pine and the splash of colour, especially when the sun shines on them, offers an incredible contrast. 



In the next day or two I will show you what we did when we arrived at our destination and why I came home exhausted. In the meanwhile, go back to the top photo and click on it to make it larger. It is a beauty and one of the nicer landscape photos I have taken.  

5 comments:

Gaye said...

Double the posted speed?

Terry said...

At least. :)

Margarete said...

The drive home was a glorious vista... God's creation at its finest

Rachel said...

I feel as if I could drive that road blind folded. It's so familiar but never boring.

Eric Vogt said...

Gorgeous colors in this series of photos! We're still waiting for autumn to break out south of you.