Friday, October 22, 2010

Pioneer Log Houses

I have a large collection of barn photos that I have taken over the years so when I see a scene like this, although this is not technically a barn but more a house that now shelters cattle, I cannot help but stop and admire and photograph it.

And then photograph it from a different angle ....

And then convert it to a Black and White and add a little lighting effects.

We had to stop here also, roof or no roof. Just to the south of this log shell was a more intact log house that was a bit obscured by the trees so we climbed the fence and ventured onto private land.

Believe me when I say that this rancher does not need guard dogs or an electric fence to guard his property. As I approached this very spot I was wondering why my feet were feeling heavy, like they were collecting mud. As I looked down, I felt the first prick and was amazed to see that both my feet were caked with cactus balls and with each step I took, the collection grew. I would have stayed here longer and took shots from more angles, but I was beginning to get concerned about how I was going to get rid of the barbed thorns which were now working their way through my leather boots and into my tender feet.

I quickly snapped another photo and then gingerly headed back to my truck, taking care not to step into another bed of cactus. They covered the ground like noxious cow patties. Andrew discovered the problem about the same time as I did and we pondered the situation as we stood on the road, not daring to touch the barbed thorns protruding from every inch of our boots. We both thought of the pliers in the tool box at the same time. What a lifesaver that was. I also discovered another way that these plants propagate, besides hitchhiking on photographer's boots. The small round cacti get very juicy and sticky when squashed and we had an awful time wiping the green stickiness from the souls of our shoes. Even the rough pavement and the gravel shoulder of the road was hardly enough to scrape the sludge from our feet.
Rule number one when wandering onto private ranch land, watch where you walk. At least we did not disturb a Rattlesnake.

1 comment: