Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Buick

On one of our walks last week, we came across this dandy. As near as I could figure, it was a cream coloured Buick Electra from the sixties. Note the convertible top, push button radio, rust coloured carpets, and an indoor plant in the passenger seat. I am sure it sat in some showroom in its day and was the envy of everyone who looked at it. 
From a 60 something perspective, this blogger has noticed how quickly the shine comes off of things. And that process is accelerating as time and technology progresses. It is said that, very quickly, the desk top computer was replaced by the laptop. For those of you who have not been to your local computer store lately, you will not have even noticed this. But, even more quickly, laptops are being replaced by hand held devices. In fact, head injuries are on the rise as people are so intent on texting as they walk down the sidewalks that they are running into solid objects such as light standards and telephone poles. Speaking of telephone poles, they could come down any day now due to wireless technology. 
Because I already run headlong into things, I will not be getting an iPad, iPhone, or any other i device any time soon. 
I bucked the computer revolution until 1995 when I finally succumbed. It was a good thing. But now, the prospect of reading a book, texting, phoning, photographing, blogging, facebooking twittering, videoing, surfing, movie watching, GPSing, and listening to tunes on a device the size of the palm of my hand, is just not going to happen. I can't even see the palm of my hand without my good pair of 'progressives'. 
I have a mind to buy that old Buick, restore it, and hearken back to the good old days. Now, I wonder if it is on eBay?   

1 comment:

Gaye said...

What--- nothing about the hockey game? Perhaps your fingertips are bleeding after all the nail-biting of the last week.