Sunday, April 10, 2011

Thoughts on Golf and Morality

It is not every year that I get to watch the premier golf event of the year, the Master's from Augusta Georgia. This year I got involved early as I followed it a bit on Friday, then all afternoon Saturday, and most of the last round on Sunday afternoon. I love Golf. I do not play as much as I did when I was younger. I actually started when I was about 12 years old. We could not play hockey all year round so we traded our sticks for clubs and played a rough 9 hole course with oiled sand 'greens' in the middle of Saskatchewan. 

Back to the Master's. It is obvious, even to the casual observer, that the PGA (Professional Golfer's Association) is changing. The elite players are getting younger, and they are coming from virtually all over the world, where once the USA dominated. Today a young South African won 'The Green Jacket', the ultimate prize in golf. The next two in line for contention were a couple of young Australian golfers, aged 23 and 30. 

I suppose this has a lot to do with Tiger Woods and his emergence onto the golf scene at a young age. He has inspired many young men to pursue this sport, and to overcome obstacles such as stereotyping. In a way, Tiger Woods is still the darling of the golf world. He draws a viewing audience like no other golfer ever has. I must admit that he fell from grace for me when it first came to light that he was a philanderer. It was his hypocrisy that got to me, not so much that he was immoral, although that was grounds enough. 
I see that even now, the spotlight is on him during a tournament, whether he is in contention, or not, and he rarely is these days.

I find it rather difficult to watch him play. Golf is supposed to be a game of composure, of manners, of decorum, in other words, a gentleman's game. Tiger's outbursts of emotion, anger, and profanity make me wish he made every shot because I find it difficult watching his suppressed anger erupt with every errant shot. I wonder how many others feel the same, and I wonder when the publicity machine will get tired of his antics and ignore him until he once again becomes an accomplished athlete. I cannot help but feel sorry for him as his immoral lifestyle festers within him and takes away the calmness and concentration that is vital in the game of golf. 
It should be a warning to the young up and coming golfers. Fame and fortune does not give you permission to give in to all the wanton pleasure of life. Lose your moral compass, and you will lose  not only your self control, but your self respect and the adulation of your fans. How much better to be a positive role model to those millions of kids out there who aspire to excel in the game of golf.        

No comments: